April 7th, 2014
I had been hoping that when the University of Alabama took over the Bryce Hospital campus that they would preserve the entire Kirkbride building there. Unfortunately, they’re planning on tearing down at least one wing to make room for a new performing arts center. Read more about it here: University of Alabama to Build New State of the Art Performing Arts Center on Bryce Hospital Grounds
This news is especially depressing, coming as it does on the heels of the news that New Jersey is moving forward with demolishing the Greystone Kirkbride. Speaking of Greystone, please still consider supporting Preserve Greystone’s continuing efforts to save Greystone. While the Kirkbride is still standing, there is hope it can be saved. And if I learn of any ways to help prevent Bryce’s wing from being torn down, I will post about them here and on Facebook.
- Bryce Kirkbride to House Museum? November 14, 2011
- In the News – March 16, 2009 March 16, 2009
- Bryce Sale Approved January 4, 2010
- Bryce Hospital in the News March 31, 2008
- Bryce Hospital Landmark Intrigue July 18, 2008