Below is a collection of links to sites focusing on specific Kirkbride asylums or on wider, related topics. When a site focuses on a
particular institution, it is included under the heading of that institution. More general sites are included under more general headings.
Arkansas State Hospital
- Arkansas State Hospital
- A history of this institution. Includes photographs of the Kirkbride building which was demolished in the 1960s.
Athens State Hospital
- Asylum Notes
- Katherine Ziff's blog about asylums, with a focus on the former Kirkbride asylum in Athens, Ohio
- Athens Mental Health Center
- Forgotten Ohio's page on Athens State Hospital. Features several historical images.
- Kennedy Museum of Art
- The art museum now housed in the Athens Kirkbride administration building.
- Bryce Hospital Historic Preservation
- The web site of the Bryce Hospital Historic Preservation Committee. Contains lots of historical data and information on volunteering or donating to the project.
Buffalo State Hospital
- The Richardson-Olmsted Complex
- Web site for the Richardson Center Corporation—a non-profit organization with a mission of preserving the old Buffalo State Hospital complex.
Danvers State Hospital
- Danvers State Insane Asylum
- Many interior and exterior photos of Danvers State Hospital as it is today and information about its history.
- Jeremy Barnard Photography
- A professional photographer's images of DSH — interior and exterior — after it was closed.
- Danvers State Hospital
- A brief synopsis of the historical significance of Danvers State Hospital by Danvers town archivist Richard Trask.
Danville State Hospital
- Danville State Hospital
- A site about the Kirkbride state hospital in Danville, PA. Historical and present day information as well as photographs.
Dixmont State Hospital
- Dixmont State Hospital
- Documentation of Dixmont State Hospital. Includes many photographs of the Kirkbride building there.
Fergus Falls State Hospital
- Fergus Falls Regional Treatment Center
- Photographs of the Kirkbride building in Fergus Falls, Minnesota at fergusphotos.com. Includes information on the building's current state.
Greystone Park State Hospital
- Preserve Greystone
- The web site of a group dedicated to preserving the former Greystone Park site for recreation, open space and historic preservation.
Harrisburg State Hospital
- City on the Hill
- A site dedicated to Harrisburg State Hospital. Lots of history and pictures, including some of the hospital's short-lived Kirkbride.
Nevada State Hospital
- Insane Asylum Number 3. 1907-08.
- Historical photos from the 1907-08 annual report for Insane Asylum Number Three in Nevada, Missouri.
Northampton State Hospital
- Created to document a memorial installation at Northampton State Hospital (Nov. 2000). Includes historical information and images.
- Northampton State Hospital
- An evolving site dedicated to the memory of Northampton State Hospital
- Northampton State Hospital Virtual Tour
- Mark Roessler's virtual tour of the Northampton Kirkbride hosted by The Valley Advocate.
Pontiac State Hospital
- Clinton Valley Center
- Site dedicated to this Pontiac, Michigan asylum. Includes many photographs of its Kirkbride building.
Spring Grove Hospital
- Spring Grove Hospital Center History
- History and images of the United States' second-oldest psychiatric center. Includes a virtual tour of the hospital's Kirkbride building (demolished in 1964).
Traverse City State Hospital
- The Village at Grand Traverse Commons
- A unique preservation of historic buildings, including the Kirkbride, at the former Traverse City State Hospital.
- Hall 18
- A site by a former resident of TCSH, Ron L. Includes a forum and an excerpt from Ron's upcoming book about his experiences at the hospital: Where Buffalo Roam.
Weston State Hospital
- The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum
- Information on the history and future of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum (Weston State Hospital).
Worcester State Hospital
- Places of the Past, Asylum For the Insane
- A collection of community thoughts and memories about Worcester State Hospital on WorcesterMass.com.
- Asylum Projects
- Archive of historical and current information about asylums around the world.
- Callan Park
- Site promoting preservation of Callan Park parkland, home to Rozelle Hospital, as public open space. The Australian hospital's original building was influenced by the Kirkbride Plan.
- dmoz - Kirkbride Hospitals and Asylums
- Kirkbride-related web sites listed in the dmoz Open Directory Project.
- Historic Asylums
- Exhaustive list of historic American asylums. Information on individual facilities, including many Kirkbrides.
- Kirkbrides HD
- A series of videos documenting abandoned Kirkbride buildings.
- The Manteno Project
- Deep resource of information on Manteno State Hospital (non-Kirkbride psychiatric hospital) in Manteno, Illinois.
- Kirkbride Desktop Wallpaper
- Images of Kirkbride buildings that can be used as desktop backgrounds for your computer.
Architecture, Photography & Exploration
- Asylum Ave Artists
- Web site for the upcoming book Behind the Walls: Shadows of New England's Forgotten Asylums.
- Chris Payne Photo
- Documentation of vanishing historical structures.
- Contamination Zone
- Urban exploration site by a photographer based in the south east of England.
- Crossley Sanatorium
- A photographic and historical documentary of Crossley Sanatorium in Chesire, England.
- Crossley Hospital East - The Rise and Fall of a Sanatorium
- Daniel Clark's video documentation of Crossley Hospital East (aka Crossley Sanatorium).
- Photo galleries of cupolas, historic architecture, and much more.
- CVK Multimedia
- Photo, video, music—includes several photos of Kirkbride buildings in the portfolio section.
- Desolate Metropolis
- Photographs of abandoned buildings and many other places.
- Diane Deaton-Street Photography
- The photogaphy of Diane Deaton-Street. Includes many photos of abandoned places and objects.
- Gray Photography
- John Gray's online portfolio documenting architectural environments.
- Hours of Darkness
- A collection of nighttime and low-light photographs by two self-taught, New York photographers.
- An online companion to the zine about going places you're not supposed to go.
- Mustard Gas Party
- Photographic Essays — images of modern ruins, including a number of abandoned asylums.
- Northeast Architecture
- A photographic catalog of notable architecture in the northeastern United States
- Nicole Rork
- Nicole Rork's photography site — photos of abandoned buildings in Detroit.
- Thierry's explorations of abandoned Belgium.
- America's Care of the Mentally Ill: A Photographic History
- Pictorial history of mental health care in the United States from 1844 to the present.
- Angels in the Architecture
- Heidi Johnson's contemporary photographs of the former Northern Michigan Asylum are juxtaposed with rare historical images from private collections and state archives.
- The Architecture of Madness: Insane Asylums in the United States
- Carla Yanni tells a compelling story of therapeutic design, from America's earliest purpose-built institutions for the insane to the asylum construction frenzy in the second half of the nineteenth century.
- The Art of Asylum-Keeping
- Thomas Story Kirkbride and the origins of American psychiatry.
- Asylum: A Mid-Century Madhouse and Its Lessons about Our Mentally Ill Today
- Dr. Enoch Callaway's memoirs of life and work at Worcester State Hospital in the 1950s and 60s.
- Asylum for the Insane: A History of Kalamazoo State Hospital
- Dr. William A. Decker gives readers a comprehensive view of Michigan's first psychiatric facility including the architectural style and plans.
- Dixmont State Hospital (Images of America)
- Through historic photographs, Dixmont State Hospital opens up this world that was off limits to the general public but was alive with festivals, celebrations, and the successful treatment of patients.
- The Eclipse of the State Mental Hospital
- Explores the role played by state mental hospitals in the current system of care for the seriously mentally ill.
- Fractured Intentions: A History of Central State Hospital for the Insane
- A comprehensive historical view of Indiana's first psychiatric facility: Central State Hospital.
- Harrisburg State Hospital
- Presents a pictorial history of the hospital from the first year of only twelve patients through the peak of state care, when the population reached over 2,500 in the 1950s.
- The Mad Among Us
- Grob traces the growth of psychiatry as a medical specialty along with changes in public policy and social attitudes.
- Mad In America
- Robert Whitaker's disturbing exposé of the cruel and corrupt business of treating mental illness in America.
- Napa State Hospital
- Covers the first 100 years of the hospital's history, telling the story of the institution and the people for whom it served as employer.
- Northampton State Hospital (Images of America)
- A collection of historical images that tell the story of this Massachusetts psychiatric hospital.
- Northern Michigan Asylum
- A comprehensive history of Michigan's third asylum, built in 1885. Contains more than 100 historic photos and illustrations.
- Oregon Asylum (Images of America)
- Lots of historical images telling the story of the oldest continuously operated psychiatric hospitals on the West Coast.
- Spring Grove State Hospital (Images of America)
- A broad array of poignant historical images from the complex and fascinating history of Maryland’s oldest hospital.
- Traverse City State Hospital (Images of America)
- This book traces the history of this great institution, from the local and mental health context in which it was founded, through its growth, development, and decline, and finally to its renovation and preservation as a vital part of the Traverse City community