August 21st, 2013
It’s been announced in the press that New Jersey plans to demolish the historic Greystone Kirkbride in spite of receiving six respectable proposals for redevelopment. According to the state, all six proposals left a “funding gap” of $11 million to $25 million. Since the state is unwilling to spend any money on redevelopment, they claim the proposals aren’t viable.
However, at least two organizations who submitted proposals argue they would not require any assistance: Green Center Acres and Auto Mart, Inc. (the company behind the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, WV).
The process of demolition could begin as early as spring 2014.
Preserve Greystone is vowing to fight the state’s decision. Right now, I’m not sure exactly what people should do to help them. I’ve asked them for the latest information and I’m still waiting to hear back. For the time being, you can like their Facebook page, follow them on Twitter and check out their existing suggestions at preservegreystone.org/support.html. If I find out anything new, I’ll post about it.
Another option I highly recommend (especially for New Jersey residents) is to call or write to both the Governor and Treasurer and let them know the Kirkbride should be saved.
NJ Governor Chris Christie
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625
NJ Treasurer Andrew P. Sidamon-Eristoff
Department of the Treasury
P. O. Box 002
Trenton, NJ 08625-0002
Learn more about this story by following the links below.
- State Planning to Tear Down Historic Main Building at Old Greystone Hospital
- Activists Determined to Fight Spring Demolition of Historic Greystone Psychiatric Hospital
- State Plans to Demolish Historic Main Building at Old Greystone Psychiatric Hospital
- Greystone Update November 6, 2011
- Preserve Greystone Petition October 19, 2013
- Greystone Developments April 2015 April 5, 2015
- Greystone One Step Closer to Preservation June 22, 2010
- For Sale: Greystone March 18, 2008