Jackson State Hospital
Also known as Mississippi State Hospital, Jackson State Hospital was the first state asylum built in Mississippi. The state established funds for the hospital in 1848, and it originally opened as The Mississippi Lunatic Asylum in 1855.
During the Civil War, at least one skirmish took place on the asylum grounds. According to legend, the asylum patients heckled the Northern Army's troops during the fighting.
In 1935, the hospital moved to a new cottage plan campus. The original location is now home to the University of Mississippi Medical Center, but the Kirkbride building is long gone.
Other names for this hospital:
- Mississippi State Lunatic Asylum
- Mississippi State Insane Hospital
- Mississippi State Hospital
- 1000 Jackson State Hospital Graves Discovered
- 1000 unmarked graves have been discovered on the former grounds of Jackson State Hospital in Jackson, Mississippi according to the Clarion Ledger: Discovery of Graves...
- More Kirkbride Buildings
- In case you haven't noticed, I've been adding pages for Kirkbride buildings that no longer exist. If you go to the main buildings page and scroll down to the demolished...