Hudson River State Hospital
The Hudson River State Hospital Kirkbride sits on a hill overlooking the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie, New York. Completed in 1871, it was built on land once owned by the Roosevelts. Frederick Clarke Withers designed the building, while Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux designed the grounds.
This Kirkbride is somewhat unique in that one wing is shorter than the other. While some Kirkbride buildings have lost parts of wings to demolition, in the case of Hudson River this feature was planned before construction was finished. Apparently there was an expectation of fewer female patients than male patients (the Kirkbride Plan stipulated that each sex be housed in its own wing), and despite the asymmetry, the building is considered complete.
The institution, now known as the Hudson River Psychiatric Center, has been downsized drastically and the Kirkbride building and much of the land and complex of buildings around it have been vacated. A private developer plans on adapting the property to a mixed residential/commercial community while maintaining it's historic character. On May 31st, 2007 a large fire broke out in the south wing of the Kirkbride building. A major portion of the wing was completely devastated. An investigation ruled that lightning was the cause. Whether Hudson Heritage (the current owner of the property) will rebuild the wing or not is uncertain.
Other names for this hospital:
- Hudson River State Hospital for the Insane
- Hudson River Psychiatric Center
- Hudson Heritage Park
Read more about Hudson River State Hospital in the forum.
- Hudson River Psychiatric Closing Today
- Although the Hudson River Kirkbride was abandoned many years ago, the hospital -- opened in 1871 -- continued operations until today when it will figuratively shut its doors for...
- Another video from the Kirkbrides HD...
- Bottle Dump
- Hello, I have been to Hudson many times and have been trying to find where back in the late 1800's to early 1900's they dumped all the medicine bottles and...
- Hudson River Cameo in New Soundgarden Video
- A friend of mine recently posted photos from a Soundgarden show on Instagram. She was excited to see photos of the Hudson River State Hospital Kirkbride appear on the screen...
- Kirkbrides HD
- In honor of the 203rd anniversary of Thomas Story Kirkbride's birthday, I think everybody should take a look at Duffy's Kirkbrides HD video project. There are lots of good...
- For Sale: Hudson River State Hospital
- They finally went and did it. The organization behind the proposed mixed-use redevelopment of the former Hudson River State Hospital campus has put the property, along with its...