May 6th, 2008
Things have been a little slow in the Kirkbride newsroom lately. Aside from last week’s excitement over the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, there haven’t been many new developments in the world of Kirkbrides—just some rehashing of the same old news.
So here’s a post about more old Kirkbride photos on the web that people might not be aware of. In a previous post on the same topic, I mentioned that I couldn’t find some photos of Worcester State Hospital which I had come across earlier in the American Memory Collection. I found them again fortunately. As stated before though, the quality isn’t so hot. Maybe the originals are good (it might be worth getting copies), but the electronic versions available on the web site aren’t. That said, here are the links.
Moving on to other buildings and better photos, here are some nice shots of the Fergus Falls State Hospital Kirkbride under construction.
And here’s an interior photo from the Fergus Falls kitchen.
Staying in Minnesota for the time being, there is a surprising wealth of photos of Saint Peter State Hospital online, although many are pretty much the same shot. Here are some examples with as few “repeats” as possible.
1) State Insane Asylum, St. Peter
2) The St. Peter State Hospital
3) View of the State Hospital in Saint Peter
4) Main Buildings at the St. Peter State Hospital
5) Administration and South Wing
6) Main Buildings
7) Minnesota River and the State Hospital
8) Saint Peter State Hospital Kirkbride
9) Rear View of Saint Peter State Hospital
10) After the Fire at Saint Peter State Hospital
11) Drawing of the Saint Peter Kirkbride
In addition, there are three whole albums of photos from Saint Peter State Hospital available at the links below.
And to complete the virtual tour of Minnesota’s Kirkbride buildings, here are some photos from Rochester State Hospital.
That’s it for now. I’ll post more links to photos of other Kirkbrides later this week.
- Fergus Falls Kirkbride Tours April 7, 2008
- Fergus Falls Artifact Auction May 6, 2009
- Fergus Falls Tours to Resume April 11, 2011
- This Place Matters May 16, 2011
- Project Kirkbride March 10, 2013