Osawatomie State Hospital
The Kansas Insane Asylum was established in 1857 approximately one mile northeast of Osawatomie. It was the first state asylum in Kansas. Construction of its Kirkbride building began in 1868 and was completed in 1881 at a final price tag of $350,000. John G. Haskell and Louis M. Wood were the architects.
The Kirkbride overlooked the Marais des Cygnes River and the town of Osawatomie. Its wings were town down in 1971, and by 1986 it was abandoned. The remains were torn down in 2002.
Like just about every other state hospital in the country, it was a vital part of its host town's economy. The asylum's name officially changed to Osawatomie State Hospital in 1901 and the hospital still serves the state of Kansas' mentally ill with that name.
Other names for this hospital:
- Kansas Insane Asylum
- State Insane Asylum