Greystone Park State Hospital
Construction of the Lunatic Asylum at Morristown Kirkbride building began in 1871. It was built to relieve overcrowding at the asylum in Trenton (site of the first Kirkbride incidentally) and began taking patients in 1876. Samuel Sloan was the architect.
This immense edifice sits on a nearly one square mile campus among expansive grounds and many other buildings from different eras. Several modifications to the Kirkbride were made over the years; most notable are the removal of several cupolas, renovation of the fourth-floor, and the removal of the administration attic and rebuilding of the central dome after a fire. These changes left the building very squared off and austere looking, adding to its aura of imposing bulk.
The history of the hospital runs along familiar lines: an early reputation for good care was later marred by severe overcrowding and instances of abuse. The advent of de-institutionalization helped diminish the problems, but also led to the eventual shuttering of older buildings, including the Kirkbride. The state has recently begun demolition of the Kirkbride building but a group of area residents is attempting to stop them. You can learn more about this group's efforts at their web site: www.PreserveGreystone.org.
Other names for this hospital:
- State Asylum for the Insane at Morristown
- New Jersey State Hospital, Morris Plains
- Morris Plains State Hospital
- Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
- Rally For Greystone - April 12, 2015
- Demolition of Greystone Park may begin as soon as this...
- Demolition ALERT!
- Not good news.State planning to tear down historic main building at old Greystone ...
- Greystone Preservation Task Force Established
- A task force charged with working out a viable preservation plan for the Greystone Park Kirkbride has been...
- Greystone Developments April 2015
- Abatement of the Greystone Kirkbride in New Jersey appears to be nearing completion, and actual demolition could begin as early as this month. Preserve Greystone is planning a...
- Preserve Greystone Town Hall Meeting
- Preserve Greystone is holding a town hall meeting on Wednesday, April 1 at 7:00PM. The meeting will be held at Morristown Town Hall, Senior Center, 3rd Floor in Morristown,...
- Preserve Greystone Petition
- Preserve Greystone has started an online petition calling for the preservation of the Greystone Kirkbride building in New Jersey. Please sign the petition to show your support...