September 29th, 2009
The transformation of Traverse City State Hospital into The Village at Grand Traverse Commons is probably a familiar story to most of you reading this blog. Reuse of the buildings there is moving steadily forward and the project has largely been a success. It continues to amaze me that more cities haven’t yet followed this example with their own abandoned Kirkbrides. NPR recently produced a piece on the project describing how it could be a model for developing sustainable neighborhoods in Michigan—a state that’s been hit especially hard by the economic downturn. Listen here:
And lest we forget the past while we’re contemplating the future, I’d just like to remind you that a few former TCSH patients continue to share their memories of the hospital on the forum. You can read their thread here: Forgotten Children of Hall 18, Hall 7.
- Points North: Traverse City State Hospital October 15, 2009
- Traverse City State Hospital Memories April 28, 2009
- Traverse City Tunnels May 25, 2010
- Heidi Johnson Passes Away August 9, 2008
- Traverse City Gate Stolen August 21, 2009