September 2nd, 2009
One of Iowa’s four state psychiatric hospitals will be shut down according to an article in the Sioux City Journal: State May Close Mental Health Facility. This means yet another Kirkbride may be abandoned in the not too distant future, unless the facility at Mount Pleasant is the one that gets closed. The Kirkbride there, of course, being long gone. I really hope Cherokee, Clarinda and Independence get to hang on. It would be a shame to see any of them abandoned after all these years.
- Public Meeting: The Future of Clarinda MHI October 8, 2009
- Independence State Hospital March 24, 2008
- Cherokee State Hospital May 19, 2008
- Explore Clarinda! Well, sorta… maybe… May 22, 2008
- Kirkbrides in American Memory February 28, 2008