May 1st, 2009
There’s a new book out by photographer Katherine Anderson featuring photographs of several former New England asylums, including the Kirkbide buildings in Danvers, Worcester, and Northampton, Massachusetts. In addition to the pictures, the book also contains an extensive history of mental illness and asylums as well as “feeble-mindedness” and the state school system. The book is called Behind the Walls – Shadows of New England’s Asylums and you can preview (and purchase) it here: Behind the Walls.
- Kirkbride Family History January 18, 2008
- Behind Grey Walls March 18, 2008
- More Kirkbride Buildings April 2, 2008
- Even More Kirkbride Buildings July 16, 2008
- Independence State Hospital March 24, 2008