Hidden Columbia, a local news segment on ABC’s Columbia, SC affiliate, recently put together a report on the history of South Carolina State Hospital. It’s a reasonably in-depth look at the hospital’s story with a few surprising details among the typical, to-be-expected facts. You can view all five currently released parts online by following the links below. I’m not sure if there are more parts coming in the future, but I’ll add the links here if they do.
Unfortunately, these videos are no longer available online.
- The State Carolina State Hospital Part 1
- The State Carolina State Hospital Part 2
- The State Carolina State Hospital Part 3
- The State Carolina State Hospital Part 4
- The State Carolina State Hospital Part 5
Watching these, I’m especially struck by how much the history of these hospitals all followed the same trajectory: a founding with much fanfare and optimism, early success giving way to hard times and overcrowding, then reform and a long slow decline terminated by closure or radical down-sizing.