Wednesday, December 31st, 2008
Ahh, the end of the year: a time when bloggers can kick back, relax, and rehash what they’ve written about all year without looking like a lazy bum. Sweet. So in case you missed them, here’s a list of probably the most significant Kirkbride-related events the past 12 months has seen. Happy New Year everybody.
2) What was left of Worcester State Hospital’s remaining wing was torn down.
3) Repairs began on the Buffalo State Hospital Kirkbride building.
4) Weston State Hospital was re-rechristened The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum which began a wave of controversy. The Jordans also appear to have had a pretty successful year raising funds for preservation through tours and other activities.
5) The Kirkbride building at Greystone Park was finally abandoned (completely). While there were indications the building would be put up for auction, recent events have cast doubts on that possibility. More on that later…
6) Representatives from China visited Fergus Falls to consider reusing the former RTC as a college campus. Not surprisingly, it appears that possibility is still up in the air.
8) And saddest of all, respected Traverse City State Hospital documenter Heidi Johnson passed away.